Sunday, February 12, 2017

Youth Code



If you haven't become acquainted with Youth Code in the past 5 years, you should. Excellent radical politics. Sara Taylor's lyrics are inclusive of marginalized humans of many identities and of nonhuman animals, rather than sticking to generalized leftist themes of a lot of EBM historically fronted by men (and I love that shit, too, don't get me wrong.) Really fun aggressive sounds and vocals that definitely represent older industrial and EBM influences (as well as punk) without simply mimicking them. They have a sound and vibe that is all their own. They toured with Skinny Puppy and I missed that tour (health and other restrictions make stompy concerts difficult) but would have loved to be there.

Also, I would like to thank Ryan George for sporting the rivethead undercut after assholes like Richard Spencer made anything like it have an association with nazis again. And for the beats, of course.



  

I am not a fan of PETA's history of racism, misogyny, ableism, and so forth. But, I am a fan of this interview (content note: if you're a fellow human with animal cruelty trauma, this contains undercover footage. I listened instead of watching.):







1 comment:

  1. Everything from their demo, onward has been great. I love the textures and the metaphors and everything in between. I can't wait to see what they come out with next. Youth Code forever!

    ReplyDelete